Wednesday, July 13, 2016

A Journey of Learning, Growth and Giving

After these first three days at Leaf Academy, we have gone to many fun places and learned many interesting things. On the first day we went kayaking at Tomales Bay. I learned that Tomales Bay was formed by a collision of two tectonic plates and then Tomales bay flooded with seawater. All of the creatures also came in, like octopus, fish and six types of crabs.  I also learned that seaweed is actually not rooted to the ground, but eelgrass is rooted to the ground and there is plenty of eelgrass in the bay. If you cross the bay you will be on a totally different tectonic plate than the rest of the country is on.

On the second day we went to the food bank and the San Francisco Center for the Book.
At the Center for the Book, I learned all about the evolution of the book, from scroll to PDF. We also learned about letterpress and all of the different machines used for book making. At the food bank I learned that 48 million pounds of food are served each year. It made me feel happy that so many people will be served by all this food.

Today we went to Glide and volunteered. I learned a lot and it made me feel very lucky to have food every time I need it. Being at Glide made me feel happy because I got to see that all these people got food. I saw someone get arrested and that made me feel sad because he probably will not get another meal for a while. I learned that 1 in 4 people in San Francisco are hungry and 1 in 6 people in the U.S.A are hungry. That is astounding considering we live in a very wealthy economy

~ Jonah

No comments:

Post a Comment