Thursday, July 14, 2016

My Actions Have Impact

Monday we explored west Marin including kayaking in Tomales bay and eating ice cream at Fairfax. While kayaking our guide told lots of information such as the mountains on Tomales bay move inward about as fast as your fingernail and that there were plans to turn the area into a big mall with houses surrounding it but 7 individuals stood up to them and the case turned to out so big that it went all the way to the Supreme Court. We finished the day by writing poetry and eating ice cream it was a beautiful ending to a beautiful day.

Tuesday took public transport The Center of the Book then to the SF Marin food bank. The Center of the Book is very unique place were we learned about the history of books and printed. For instance press printing started in about late to mid-nineteenth century. The first writing was on stone or caves. Second was on parchment paper. Third was the scroll. Last was the book that we use today. At the Food Bank we sorted through discarded apples and melon from farmers to see which ones we could use and which ones we couldn't. We were not that picky even if there was a deep whole we would slice it off. After we finished sorting the apples and melon we packaged rice. Here's how it worked, one person would estimate about a pound and put some rice in a bag. Then someone weighs the bag then takes away or puts in rice so it is exactly one pound. The third person seals the bag then it comes to the final person who puts a label on the bag. When we left the Food Bank I felt like I had really made an impact.

On Wednesday we went to work at Glide. At Glide our first job was preparing the food so I chopped carrots. After we had prepared the food I became a server and by chance I got carrots - the very ones I had chopped we served to about 550 people. When I looked at the people eating the carrots that I had chopped and served I felt very good and like the Food Bank I felt like I had made an impact.

~ Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment